Recent Read: After You

Spoiler-free
 
So, here's the thing: sometimes we don't do a whole lot at my work. Sometimes customers don't come in, and there is only so much cleaning to be done. A few months ago, we often ended up talking about books. My friend Lisa recommended Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. And when I say recommended I mean raved about it. Eventually I picked it up and I absolutely loved it. And then I found out that there was a sequel.

I only picked up the sequel, After You, recently because I am cheap and didn't want to pay $30 for a hardcover. So I waited, and a few weeks ago the paperback was released and I grabbed it up quickly. And I read it quickly. And, oh my God, it is amazing. I loved Me Before You, and After You is even better, in my opinion.


After You takes place a few years after Louisa's employment with the Traynors ends. She is still trying to sort herself out and, of course, more gets piled on her plate. Not only does she have to sort her own life and emotions out, she suddenly has to look out for the life of another. And then she has a job she's not happy in, family issues, love life issues... Basically everything a twenty-something has to deal with on top of the events of Me Before You. After You is a story of personal growth and Louisa finding what makes her and her loved ones happy.

So here is why I loved After You: I love how unexpected everything is. There was never really anything that I could accurately predict. You know how, when you're reading, and there is an issue you think back to the information you have and make a guess? I found I couldn't do that with most of the story. It was the most unpredictable YA novel I've ever read, I've got to say. Unlike Me Before You where I knew the ending before I even got close to the book's end, I was never totally sure how After You would end. I had my hopes, but I could never be sure. And I think that's why it appeals to me so much while in conjunction with a typical YA novel, filled with love and responsibility and decision making. It's a very true-to-life account, nothing is set in stone, nothing is predictable, and nothing is going to feel one-hundred percent right.


Plus, I loved Louisa's relationships with the other characters. I love her relationship with Lily, their similarities and their understanding of each other: two characters who need a certain kind of love in their lives. I love her relationship with Sam: I love how it grows and blooms and evolves with the events of the book. And I love Louisa's changing relationship with her family, the change in dynamic between her parents, with her sister and nephew. And! Of course, I really like her relationship with the Moving On support group, how it helps her without her really realising it.

As a whole, though I loved Me Before You, I think I like After You better. I think After You could be read without having first read Me Before You, but I do recommend reading Me Before You first (and I do mean read, the movie was great but it doesn't have a lot of the extra information that makes After You more poignant). And, of course, I highly recommend the book if you're looking for something with emotion, thought-provoking, and funny. It is such a wonderful story, I am so glad I picked it up.

Want to be friends on Goodreads?


19 comments:

  1. I really want to read me before you and this one and also watch the movie since they all sound amazing. I just need to find the time haha!

    Sarah | What Sarah Writes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to read your review about this book! I was a little nervous about reading After You since I loved Me Before You so much. I guess I just didn't want the sequel to taint my enjoyment of the original. But now I feel much better about it, and will definitely pick up After You soon! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting! I've heard some mixed reviews about the Me Before You movie, but as always I bet the book is always better. :]

    // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
  4. To be honest, I didn't like Me Before You the movie and how it portrayed certain things so I think I'll give its sequel a skip. Thanks so much for your thoughts though <3

    xx   B A S H   |   go   say     H E Y   B A S H

    ReplyDelete
  5. I finished Me Before You a while ago but wasn't sure about reading After You in case it didn't meet my expectations but it sounds worth the read at least. Lovely post!

    Anika | anikamay.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read Me Before You, I loved it but I didn't like the movie. I personally think Emilia Clark didn't portray Louisa's character right. I haven't read this one yet. I'm planning to get into it by September!


     Miriam ♥ A whole lot of serendipity

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE ME BEFORE YOU! That book totally destroyed me in the end :'( Would definitely give After You a go! PS: If you love genre like this I would highly recommend you to read "All The Bright Places" (that book is even sadder hahah!)

    Z E N G T E C K | Lifestyle, Tips & Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds like an amazing beach/holiday read, even though I think I have outgrown the YA genre for obvious reasons.

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohh, in all honestly I don't really read books myself, but I truly enjoy reading people's reviews of books, blog posts about them, etc. You reviewed this book so beautifully, and honestly it does sound like a fab read. It kinda makes me want to get back into reading books, to be honest, haha! <3 And totally random, but is that a cute little packet of Hello Kitty tissues I see? It's so adorable!! Where did you get it if I may ask? :3 <3 <3 Hope you're well, hun! x

    Kay
    http://www.shoesandglitter.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't heard of this book, sounds great though. One of my friends name is louisa! and loving the tissues in the picture!x

    AimeeSueXO
    Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  12. haven't heard of this book but will give it a try sometime soon (as soon as finish my current) it sounds lovely

    Lyosha
    Inside and Outside Blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've read so many reviews of this, I really need to give it a read xx

    Gemma ♡ Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have heard so many good things about the books and the movie, they aren't my style at all but I'm certainly getting curious about them :)

    Cy | Dulce de Mango

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely read that soon hihi

    http://inezdivaa.blogspot.co.id

    ReplyDelete
  16. I never knew there was a second book. Haven't seen me before you yet...I'm a bit worried to do so if it makes me feel too sad.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVED me before you but never realised there was a sequal, this sounds brilliant i love it wen books are unpredictable it makes me passionate to keep reading and i can't wait to see how her relationships wth teh other charaters develops :)

    lots of love, Marianne xxx

    http://www.dontburstmybubble.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Haven't read the series yet. I picked up the first one at the bookstore before they were even making the movie and I cheated and read the ending first. So, I know I couldn't bear to read that book. The sequel might be perfect for me though! Thanks for sharing hun. xo

    xo, mikéla / simplydavelyn.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your review :) I still haven't read After You but it's high up on my TBR list!

    Serena / www.asecretbooklover.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.