September Changes

It's nearly September. By the time this post goes up, September begins in two days. That's crazy! I don't know where this year has gone. But, honestly, though, I do need a change. I don't know where this year has gone because, with the exception of a few points, I've wasted a lot of it. Between work, being tired and lazy from work, and complaining about work, I've spent entirely too much time wasting 2016. So, because I am a huge fan of psychological fresh starts, I've decided to make some big changes in September.

Why September? September has a few great things working for it. First of all, it's a new month. Starting ~life changes~ at a month's beginning is really helpful for me. I don't really know why, it is a psychological thing for a lot of people (I hear), but it works. September also has the advantage of being a typical time of change in my life because it was the beginning of school. In September you get back into a routine, you get back into learning and growing. So, hopefully, making some changes on September first will do a million miles of good. Besides, do you remember Paige from Degrassi? "New year, new look, new Paige!" It's clearly a good time to start.


gsjgsidgjBeginning on the first of September I will be:

1) Learning Again
It's a sentiment that many of the people I work with (and have worked with): my job is making me dumb. I don't really need to use my brain at work. So, in addition to my leisure reading, I am going to try to read more academic pieces. I did go to university, and a small fortune was spent on said university education. It's a shame to let it all rot away. I'll get back into school when September starts.

2) Exercising More
I gained weight this year, far more than I am willing to accept. Do I blame my job? Yes. Is that fair? Not entirely. Still, I have to get more active. I'm hoping to do something, whether that be circuit training, taking a walk, doing some yoga, everyday.  And September is a great time of year for this, too! I don't know your environment, but here it can get quite humid. September brings cooler temperatures, less humidity, and a more enjoyable exercise experience. Besides, I recently bought some new #activewear* (that I'm thinking of hauling) so I might as well wear the crap out it it all.

3) Eating Better
I keep trying to improve my eating but I fall off the bandwagon quickly. So, so quickly. There's no special September tie-in here, it's just something that has to happen. I'm going to bring better meals to work that covers more bases than 'ends hunger.' I'm going to stop bringing my wallet to work so I can't buy bad food when I have better food with me. I'm going to stop giving into 9:30pm Dairy Queen chicken wrap cravings. I'm, overall, just going to eat healthier foods and cut the bad foods down to an occasional treat.

4) Leaving Work at Work
This one will be harder than the others. I find myself thinking my day over in the shower sometimes and having work-related revelations. But, still, I can still leave certain aspects between the walls of my store. I can leave my work complaints at work, I can leave my shit customers at work, and I can leave my co-worker issues at work. None of those things need to follow me home. Besides, I can complain about those things at work, it's not like I need to get things out of my system later. In effect, I will no longer care. Oops, I said it.

5) Putting Down the Computer
I don't need to be spending so much stupid time of my laptop - especially when I've got amazing books to read and beautiful colouring books to colour in and art supplies to use! There is so little need for me to close Facebook, go to Instagram, close Instagram, and go back to Facebook. None of my friends are that interesting (HA!). Just kidding, they are. But their Instagram and Facebook posts aren't going anywhere, I can check it out later. No big deal!

So! Those are my life changes! Beginning Thursday I am going to try to start living better and experiencing life better (funny, because I'm pretty sure that is what this blog is about). I'm kind of excited, and I can't wait to see what the rest of the year has for me (although, spoiler alert, it has Iceland in it!). Are you thinking of making any life changes this month? Let me know what they are! Maybe we can check in on each other to keep us all in line. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to refresh Instagram a few hundred times.



* I like inserting hashtags into my daily speech for humour

8 comments:

  1. I totally agree with the "putting down the computer" idea! Every now and then I will just switch off all of my devices to have a digital detox heheh, and I do feel more rested after that :D

    Z E N G T E C K | Lifestyle, Tips & Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck. I do believe in fresh starts, and committing to them for a month is a great way, because our brain needs around 30 days to accept them as part of the daily routine. So September has the perfect length.

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was literally just thinking the other day how September is another way of jumping into a fresh new start; what better time, right? It's something I'm bitter-sweetly looking forward to (I'm always torn with the end of summer and welcoming fall!)
    And hey, if I'm being perfectly honest - complaining about work is one of my all-time favourite pass times :) No joke...I always say, I'm ready for the retired life. Here's to fresh new starts!

    -Lor
    acozyspace.org

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your goals, hun, those are pretty big changes but I'm sure you will do wonderfully! :) I can totally relate to so much of what you've said... I've made the effort to eat better for the last couple of weeks, and I'm already feeling so much healthier! Leaving work at work is also important, it can be difficult especially if you've had a stressful day at work, but I think it's important to keep work/personal life separate. Thanks for sharing hun, and good luck again. :) <3

    Kay
    http://www.shoesandglitter.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best of luck, Erin! I love the idea of setting new challenges for yourself in September. It's a wonderful time to do so. I haven't though of actually setting some but I started running and aiming to run 5km this October, so that's one. Also, I want to try and be better at not leaving things to do for the last minute. I started uni and I don't think that it would be a good idea for me to leave assignments for the last day, haha :)

    -Leta | The Nerdy Me

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to take some of these on board too. Some great changes, good luck! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know exactly what you mean with this post. I have been in need of some change too and I feel like new months bring new motivations. I'm with you on point 5. i really have to spent less time on my laptop, ..on the internet all together and just live more. I'm also trying to discipline myself more for workouts and healthy eating.
    Great post! Good luck with your goals!
    Have a great week!
    xo
    Sauniya | Find Your Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  8. I honestly feel like I could have written this, or you could be writing about me. Especially about the being tired/lazy complaining about work.

    Leaving work at work is something I've taken very seriously in the last few months (for my own health more than anything) and it's so worth it once you get into the swing of things. I'm at a stage now where I can walk out at the end of the day and not worry about angry customers or calls I need to make. I hope this happens quickly for you!

    Good luck with these changes! xx

    Moany Mouse | Scottish Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.