The Great Canadian Playlist

Admittedly, I should have done this post a few months ago (when I thought up the idea). You see, in August, a Canadian band called The Tragically Hip played their last concert. That last concert was the same night as one of the last competition nights of the Rio Olympics and, despite that, the CBC broadcasted that last concert. Honestly, I don't think I know anyone who didn't see at least a few songs from that night. 

But it got me thinking, despite the fact that The Tragically Hip are so popular in Canada they never really became well-known elsewhere. So, logically, there are a lot of well-loved Canadian bands that others just don't really know about. And that's where I come in! I decided that I would share with you some of my favourite Canadian music.


Just a note, I'm going to add the abbreviations of the province or territory of origin in brackets next to each musician/band. Mostly for myself, but you might find it interesting, too.


Adult Diversion by Alvvays (NS, PE)
Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains by Arcade Fire (QC)
Caught Me Thinking by Bahamas (ON)
Lover's Spit by Broken Social Scene (ON)
The Girl by City and Colour (ON)
I Feel it All by Feist (AB)
Lovers in a Dangerous Time by Frazey Ford (BC)
Mary Mac by Great Big Sea (NL)
These Eyes by The Guess Who (MB)
Carry Me Home by Hey Rosetta! (NL)
Drive My Soul by LIGHTS (ON)
Soft Rock Star by Metric (ON)
Travelling by Paper Lions (PE)
Adventures in Your Own Backyard by Patrick Watson (QC)
Feeling Good by The Sheepdogs (SK)
The Rest of My Life by Sloan (NS)
Fogarty's Cove by Stan Rogers (ON)
She's So High by Tal Bachman (MB)
Call it Off by Tegan and Sara  (AB)
Nautical Disaster by The Tragically Hip (ON)
Man of Two Minds by The Trews (NS)
Weighty Ghost by Wintersleep (NS)

If you click here you can listen through these songs in the playlist I created on YouTube!

So there you have it! Twenty-two of my favourite Canadian songs. Hopefully you found something new, something that you like! And, I hope that you liked what you heard so much that you at least considered checking out some more songs by that artist.

Unfortunately, the territories are very under-represented, and a lot of other groups are, too. After writing this up, I realise that I definitely have to get looking into a more diverse array of Canadian musicians and bands. Maybe, in a few months, I'll do an updated list?

I can't leave this post without giving an honourable mention to the one and only Justin Bieber. Sure, he was super obnoxious for years, but three out of three Canadians in a dorm in the Hlemmur Square hostel in Reykjavik agreed that his newest album is pretty okay.

9 comments:

  1. I've never heard any of these but I'll be sure to give them a listen, also I love your blog layout girl! Just come across your blog through another and I love it x

    http://www.taintedblues.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obviously, I more than appreciated this post :) I'd been listening to the Hip a lot more since their last concert. I've seen City and Colour in concert before and the Sheepdogs always make me think of '70s classic rock! I actually had no idea Metric was Canadian (I love the song "Gimmie Sympathy.")

    -Lor
    acozyspace.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was such a good idea, definitely good to support bands from your home turf :)

    Rosy | Sparkles of Light Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Justin Bieer has really come a long way from Britneys boy to an artist I can get on board with.

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
  5. All about the Bieber, I miss Celine Dion. Her voice is so emotion evoking, great post xxx

    ALittleKiran | Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm very much looking forward to listenng to your playlist because I love hearing new music ! I didn't like justin bieber originally but I am currently obsessed it "Love Yourself "

    lots of love, Marianne xxx

    lots of love, Marianne xxx

    http://myhappybubblexx.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many songs I have now to check out! Thank you for sharing this list. Love to see the updated version in the future :) x

    -Leta | The Nerdy Me

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such an interesting post, I actually haven't listened to any of these! Thanks for the recommendations, I will be sure to check them out. :)

    Kay
    http://www.shoesandglitter.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea for this post! Now I've got to get listening...

    www.thesundaymode.com

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.