Autumn Lipstick

This fall I decided that I needed a new, deep-coloured lipstick for the season. Last year, unused to dark colours as I was, I stuck with Rimmel 107 as my autumn lipstick. And while I still love my 107, I got a bit more used to the shade and don't find it quite so dark anymore. So! I figured it was time for a new seasonal shade.

Enter Covergirl's Katy Kat Matte lipstick in Maroon Meow. I was a bit hesitant in buying Maroon Meow for a few reasons. The first issue I had was that I don't think I've ever owned a Covergirl lipstick before, even when I was much younger and was just trying out makeup. I didn't know whether I would like their lipstick. But, in the end, I figured Covergirl are pretty well-known for a reason, so I brushed that hesitation aside.


The second issue I had was, well, foolish. My thought process was along the lines of 'But a celebrity makeup line? How good can it really be?' I mean, really. Until you think about it for two seconds it's a decent point - is there anything special, in the end, in Justin Bieber's perfumes and One Direction's perfumes? They're not perfume experts (probably). But then you think about it for two seconds and your thought process becomes 'You literally own three of the lipsticks from Rimmel's collaboration with Kate Moss' and when your lipstick collection is not large three is a pretty big number. So, yeah. I pushed that hesitation aside, too, and bought the silly tube of lipstick.


So, here's the thing: I love the colour. It's dark, but not ridiculously so. It's a deep wine or berry colour and I think it's perfect for autumn. The colour is amazing, but the formula maybe is not. I totally agree with a lot of Covergirl's claims regarding the lipstick line. Maroon Meow is definitely not flat, and, while I don't typically have an issue with mattes, this lipstick is totally comfortable to wear, not drying at all. But I don't really love it.

I find Maroon Meow does not stay on the lip very long. I definitely have to check on it while at work, regardless of how I'm spending my time. I'm just as aware that it might be slipping and gathering on my lips when I'm having a quiet work night with minimal interaction as I am when I'm talking and drinking. And, on top of that, after eating, when I go to touch up my lipstick, I often find that I have to just take of the original layer - an issue I don't have with any of my other lipsticks.


At the end of the day, I'm really sad that I couldn't find an autumn colour in Rimmel (haha). I love the colour of the Katy Kat Matte Maroon Meow, but I'm not sold on the formula. That said, I'm obviously going to keep using it. Hello? It was $10 and I am such a cheap person! It's an okay lipstick, but nothing to get excited about, in my opinion.

6 comments:

  1. I have the same resentments when it comes to celebrity makeup lines. Or perfume, for that matter, and I find quite often I am right and the formula isn't as good as I expected. Too bad you experienced the same thing, but the color is quite nice.

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see where you are coming from with celebrity products, Erin. I love Kate Moss 107 but this shade looks gorgeous! Sad that the formula isn't as good :)

    -Leta | The Nerdy Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. The shade indeed looks gorgeous! It's perfect for fall. But too bad it doesn't stay on the lip very long.

    Hugs,
    Hannie from Missing Wanderer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this shade of Lipstick! I have a similar one from Nyx range and it's amazing! Its a pity this one doesn't stay on longer. Maybe check out the Nyx range. They're cheap and you won't be endorsing any celebrities either hahahha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this shade of Lipstick! I have a similar one from Nyx range and it's amazing! Its a pity this one doesn't stay on longer. Maybe check out the Nyx range. They're cheap and you won't be endorsing any celebrities either hahahha

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.