October Favourites


It's hard to believe that 2016 is almost over! I cannot get over the fact that it is November, it's just so odd, for some reason. There is only one page to flip over on my calendar! But, I guess we can live in the past for a few minutes more, it's time for some October favourites.

Makeup
Maybelline's Great Lash mascara is one of those ones that I used to swear by but then ventured out and away from. But, at Christmas, some of my family like to gift me makeup, and I think they consider Great Lash to be a good, reliable, safe mascara so I usually end up with a new one every year. I recently began using a tube that I had been given and I haven't really looked back. I don't know if it's the Great Lash kind or just the fact that the wand is a bit curved, but I'm really loving my Great Lash right now!


Books
I read two phenomenal books in October, both fiction, both written by women (!), both great reads. The first book I want to mention is called The Light Between Oceans by M. L. Stedman. The Light Between Oceans is about a lighthouse keeper, Tom, and his wife Isabel who, on Australia's west coast, find a baby in a boat that has washed ashore. They decide to keep the baby and raise her as their own. Isolated as they are, the couple is unaware of the baby's real mother, suffering over the loss of her child and husband in Isabel's hometown, that is, until they return at the year's end. This book so so good. SO, so good. You feel happiness, sadness, love, heartbreak... There are so many emotions you feel when you're reading The Light Between Oceans, and I can't recommend it highly enough.


The second book that I loved in October was Room by Emma Donoghue. Room is from the perspective of Jack, a five-year-old boy who lives in a shed with his mother. He doesn't know there is a world beyond Room, he doesn't know there are people other than himself, his mother, and his mother's kidnapper. And then his world is turned upside down when they decide to try escape. My only real complaint about Room is that it is a bit difficult to get used to the style of writing. I mean, it's the point of view of a five-year-old who has only interacted with one person, of course his speech has some quirks. But otherwise, Room is fantastic. There is a bit of suspense, a lot of character growth and learning. It's just such a great piece of fiction.


Clothing
I bought a poncho-type thing back in February because it was on clearance for like, $12. I knew I really would not be able to wear it until this time of year, so it's largely been sitting around my room. But this month I unfolded the poncho-type thing and put it on. A lot. I mean, just look at it! It's so pretty, and it's so warm, and it's so perfect for fall. I'm definitely pleased with it. Hopefully I can wear it a few more times before it gets too cold (I find it awkward/impossible to wear with coats!).

 
Films
I didn't get to go to the movie theatre in October, unfortunately, but I did see a few great movies on Netflix! At the beginning of October I watched Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. My go-to review of Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is 'It was good! It wasn't funny, but it was good.' Let me explain: despite the fact that it stars Tina Fey, despite the fact that it was marketed as a comedy, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is not a comedy. There are some funny bits, but it is ultimately a movie about a woman's struggles as she works as a war correspondent in Afghanistan. She struggles with keeping her ratings up, her personal relationships, the difficulties of her job alone. But it's also about a woman figuring out her life. She figures out what she needs, what she wants, and who she is. It really is a great movie.

Then, a few days later, I watched Amy. I love Amy Winehouse. I love her so, so much. Amy is a documentary, biography style film that shows you the Amy Winehouse that her friends and family loved as she tried to navigate fame as a recording artist. You get a sense that you're getting to know the real Amy as you watch the documentary. It is such a great film to watch, especially if you're an Amy fan, but I think it would be a great one for those who maybe aren't as familiar with her. It's very eye-opening.

Home
Halloween and fall decor aside, I have been absolutely loving my new succulent. It is the cutest little thing! I went to Sobeys to get lunch one day and the very first thing I saw was a table of little succulents. I had managed to walk away from them, but once I got my lunch I scooted back over to the succulent table and picked one out. I am ridiculously pleased with this little plant purchase, and can you really blame me? No. You can't.


And that is just about that! I think I'm going to start doing monthly favourites posts. We'll see how that works out, but I did enjoy writing this, October favourites.

9 comments:

  1. OMG thanks for the book recommendation I'm currently hunting for new fictional novels to read!

    Z E N G T E C K | Lifestyle, Tips & Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  2. That poncho is so cute and really suits you! And I love the documentary Amy too! Thanks for sharing your favourites :)

    http://izzyk1998.blogspot.co.uk/
    http://izzykreviews.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely blog post. I've been wanting to read Room, because it gets my attention whenever I go to the bookstore. I'm more intrigued now since I read this blog post. Definitely going to give it a try!

    Love, Fads
    InstagramTwitter

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been seeing Room on the bookstore but I never seem to end up finding out what it was about. Now, I'm really curious about it. Adding it to my to-read list!

    xx, Richel Goes Places

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really enjoyed reading about your favourites, hun! I absolutely adore these kinds of posts. :) I've heard some good things about the Great Lash mascara, but have yet to try it, actually! The reviews seem overwhelmingly positive, and I'm glad to hear your thoughts on it, as well. :) Also, that little poncho is so cute and it looks really good on you! I can see how it would be really warm and comfy for colder months. I haven't watched either Amy or WTF! I should check them out. :) Thanks for sharing your lovely picks and recommendations. xoxo <3

    Kay
    http://www.shoesandglitter.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cute that succulent is!? I love it. Also, books sound so amazing, as well as Amy movie. I adore her. I will need to watch it for sure :)

    -Leta | The Nerdy Me

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was actually about to look for reviews on this mascara since the mascara that I've been using expired, I needed a new one. The books really looks interesting, might have to give it a go.

    Joyce | Joycentricity

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Light Between Oceans sounds so heartbreaking and intriguing just from your description. Definitely adding to my to-read list. The first time I read Rooms, I didn't enjoy it quite as much as other people seemed too but I re-read it and liked it a lot more the second time. And I love your succulent! They are small but make such a big difference to your decor don't they?

    Emily | http://www.emilytrinh.com/theres-monster-bed/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this monthly post, Erin! :)
    I also use Great Last to this day! - it's decently priced and always reliable!
    That poncho looks amazing...so warm and comfy! And I've been thinking about picking up succulent next time I was in the grocery store! I hear they're super easy to take care of (as they don't need tons of watering or sunlight) and they can still brighten up a room. Great post!! (By the way, I was just looking at your Instagram photos at the side..gorgeous! I deactivated my Instagram about two months ago, but have been contemplating getting it back).

    -Lor
    acozyspace.org

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.