TV Shows to Binge-Watch Again and Again

When I work evenings or weekends my co-workers and I often default into discussions about television, movies, and books. Most often, we talk about television. I think it's because with a show, if it's recommended to you, you can watch one episode and if you don't like it you don't have to watch any more. If someone recommends a movie and you didn't like it, you had to sit through two to three hours of things you don't like. Television is just easier to recommend with some people.


However, no matter what television show is recommended to me - Grey's Anatomy, Friends, and Riverdale were all recommendations from this past Saturday - I find myself watching my favourites. Yes, I binge-watch television shows over and over again. Why? Because I love them.

Well, it's more than that. I love these shows, and I love to binge-watch these shows, because they're good entertainment. They're funny, they're a bit simple, but you still want to watch the next episode, and the next one, and the one after that. But I do really love them.

The Mindy Project
The first binge-watched The Mindy Project when I was in my first semester of my fourth year of university. During exams period, obviously. Who doesn't need an addictive television show to distract you while you're preparing for exams and writing papers? And if that doesn't sell you on binge-watching The Mindy Project, how's this: single female professional woman of colour livin' her life in New York City. Seriously, how did it take fifty years for the world to create such a fantastic TV concept?

Brooklyn Nine-Nine
If Mindy is the voice of semester one, Brooklyn Nine-Nine is the voice of my second semester of fourth year. It was, however, less obtrusive, as I binge-watched Brooklyn Nine-Nine in January, also known as the month during which nothing happens. No exams, no papers, just time to watch television to avoid readings. Good times. Another neat thing to note is that I have yet to be on an airplane with in-flight entertainment that did not have select Brooklyn Nine-Nine episodes available. It's that good.


Chewing Gum
Admittedly, the first time I watched Chewing Gum I wasn't entirely sold. But then I binge-watched it again, and again, and again, and I really have yet to stop. It doesn't help that Canadian Netflix has only the first season available, but it's also because I freaking love Chewing Gum. I binge-watch it at least once a month. In fact, my sister watched it through and wasn't totally convinced, but then one conversation with me - which included us quoting hilarious one-liners - had her binge-watching it again. Moral of the story: Chewing Gum is a fantastic show and you might have to binge-watch it at least once anyway, so you might as well go for once a month.

Freaks and Geeks
Freaks and Geeks is one of those shows that are forty minutes and you don't really notice. Not only do I binge-watch this show, but I depend on their Halloween episode. I need to watch that episode on the 31 of October for the rest of my life. Plus you can't beat their soundtrack. Or John Francis Daley's facial expressions. On top of all of that, Freaks and Geeks was created by Judd Apatow which means you get James Franco, you get Seth Rogen, you get Jason Segel.You even get a baby (youth) Shia LaBeouf! And those aren't even the main characters!

In a word: I love these television shows, and I love to binge-watch them. Who says you can only binge-watch new shows?!


I hope that I've given you some binge-watching material. It's an increasingly valid form of expression, or so it seems! Have you seen any of these? Are there any shows that you've binge-watched again and again? How many times have I written the phrase 'binge-watching' in this post?

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.